Hanssens Artisanaal

In 1896, Bartholomé Hanssens, mayor of Dworp, bought an old farm-dairy and converted it into a brewery that was given the name "Sint-Antonius". Unlike the other brewers in Dworp, he does not brew lambic, but a brown table beer. The necessary water for brewing came from a stream just behind the brewery. Next to that stream was a brick pit, which served as a filter. This well was believed to be lost, but the chickens uncovered it in the spring of 2000. As in so many breweries, all copper work was confiscated by the German occupier during WWI. After the war, Bartholomé decided not to brew lambic anymore, but to limit himself to cutting purchased wort. The brewery became a Gueuze blower, a type of company that was very common at the time, which has since almost disappeared, except for De Cam (Gooik). Theo Hanssens takes over the company from 1929. He breaks up the remains of the brewery and transforms the vacant space into a house in 1931. He designed the bottle drying racks, which are still in use today: after manual cleaning (in a soaking tub and a brush machine), the bottles are placed upside down on the racks, not only to let them drip, but also to prevent insects from forming. would nest in the bottles. In addition to Gueuze steker, Theo Hanssens also becomes Wielemans depositor. The Forst beer and a table beer were delivered in 100 liter wooden barrels and finished by Hanssens